Today is your day Boomer! Is it just me or is this winter becoming more and more like a non-winter? This is great for all the Boomers who couldn't head south because of COVID and are living in RVs all winter. Temperatures are mostly above freezing here in the Okanagan with many days of mixed cloud and sun. It allows for lots of outdoor walks and hikes and a more-positive attitude in our everyday lives, but.....will it mean enough snow in the mountains for the spring runoff? Will it mean enough water for crop irrigation this summer? Will it mean more forest fires in a drier back country? Is it another sign of global warming? I hope not. My Okanagan winter experience 25 years ago always featured three cold spells; ten years ago, it dropped to two, and this winter one cold period is not upon us yet.....and it is already early January! Wow, our world is a changin'. Cheers.
Today is your day Boomer! Baby Boomers, another health benefit is back! It is backward walking and the trend-often associated with the 1980s-is making a return as grey-haired wonders, like you and I, look for new-or-newish ideas to help keep us fit! According to cbc.ca, "walking backwards has shown that there's less impact on the joints by using these different muscles — and it can increase flexibility and even help alleviate back pain." One 62-year-old Boomer says "Every time I walk, I just do a little twirl and walk backwards for a bit, and I'll do it just a few times during my walk." It may look a little unusual and may get a few laughs from passersby....by consider the actual benefits. Clinical exercise specialist André Noël Potvin says "When you start to walk backwards, you actually start to rebalance the forces around the ankle, knee, hip and lower back." This really helps Boomers recovering from knee surgery and older Boomers who are havi...

Comments
Post a Comment