Today is your day Boomer! I see in the news today the passing of Canada's "Hockey Dad" Walter Gretzky.....father of superstar Wayne Gretzky. So, I pay tribute to all Dads in our nation that truly commit a huge portion of their lives to their children and their hockey desires. Of course, it is not just fathers and hockey.....it is Moms, grandparents, and step parents that are being honoured here and for all sports like soccer, baseball, and lacrosse. Walter was the prime example of a Dad who would get out of bed at 4am for Wayne's hockey practices, he would slave for hours in the bitter Ontario winters to keep an outdoor rink going for his sons(see picture), he drove most weekends through snowstorms for tournaments, and provided hard-earned money for food, equipment, ice fees, and travel. He is the "poster boy" for committment to his children and many of us Boomers can really identify with this. My wife and I did the same thing for our three kids....including the outside rink! What alot of work, but it sure was worth it....and I know our children still appreciate it. Cheers Walter!
Today is your day Boomer! Baby Boomers, another health benefit is back! It is backward walking and the trend-often associated with the 1980s-is making a return as grey-haired wonders, like you and I, look for new-or-newish ideas to help keep us fit! According to cbc.ca, "walking backwards has shown that there's less impact on the joints by using these different muscles — and it can increase flexibility and even help alleviate back pain." One 62-year-old Boomer says "Every time I walk, I just do a little twirl and walk backwards for a bit, and I'll do it just a few times during my walk." It may look a little unusual and may get a few laughs from passersby....by consider the actual benefits. Clinical exercise specialist André Noël Potvin says "When you start to walk backwards, you actually start to rebalance the forces around the ankle, knee, hip and lower back." This really helps Boomers recovering from knee surgery and older Boomers who are havi...

Comments
Post a Comment