Today is your day Boomer! It is not just a day off....not just another holiday, like BC Day, it is a day of reflection and action for all Canadians. I am talking about tomorrow, September 30, which is our first ever National Day for Truth and Reconciliation. Recently created by the federal Liberal Government, this day replaces Orange Shirt Day which was kind of an unofficial reflection time of learning, especially in schools. And for me that is my focus. As a teacher of thirty years and current school trustee in BC's Okanagan, I think mostly about the kids.....the kids that were torn away from their families in residential schools, culturally stripped, abused, and even killed. That is looking back and it is really important, but I am an optimist and I think of the indigenous children now and in the future....hence the picture included. I think a better future, equality and equity, democratic representation, leadership, and improved education. And I am reminded of the Okanagan Song which was written locally by two members of the Okanagan or Syilx Nation and is sung regularly and passionately by students at all of our district schools. It is like a national anthem. Here it is for you: ałi kwu swiwi-numtax | We are beautiful ałi kwu suknaʔqín̓x | We are Okanagan ałi axa/ L/tmxwula/xw | Because our land is beautiful. Boomers, please treat tomorrow like Remembrance Day. It is the start of something very meaningful in Canada....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog