Today is your day Boomer! It was actually last week that I saw this Boomer news article, but it inspired me to write about it today! Surrey BC's George Klassen, of Boomer age, launched this incredible homemade canoe with his wife and grandkids after spending 15 long COVID months in his workshop making it. Where did he get the material? From three old pianos.....obviously he used the beautiful cedar wood, but he also reused ivory, wire, and soundboard material. He says the canoe will become the family yacht and it has been named "Middle Sea" after the centre "C" note on a piano. Nice! Boomers, we can learn from this. We can also be creative, expanding our minds, keeping sharp and active, and we can practice the environmental "3R's" at the same time: reduce, reuse, and recycle.....and construct something beautiful, kind of a legacy for our grandchildren. I like it!! Cheers.
Today is your day Boomer! Baby Boomers, another health benefit is back! It is backward walking and the trend-often associated with the 1980s-is making a return as grey-haired wonders, like you and I, look for new-or-newish ideas to help keep us fit! According to cbc.ca, "walking backwards has shown that there's less impact on the joints by using these different muscles — and it can increase flexibility and even help alleviate back pain." One 62-year-old Boomer says "Every time I walk, I just do a little twirl and walk backwards for a bit, and I'll do it just a few times during my walk." It may look a little unusual and may get a few laughs from passersby....by consider the actual benefits. Clinical exercise specialist André Noël Potvin says "When you start to walk backwards, you actually start to rebalance the forces around the ankle, knee, hip and lower back." This really helps Boomers recovering from knee surgery and older Boomers who are havi...
Comments
Post a Comment