Today is your day Boomer! I am quoting the Merritt RCMP on mountain road conditions and fast drivers: "No zoomy zoom on the slicky slick or you'll go boom, boom!" I experienced this twice in the past four days as I travelled on the Okanagan Connector high-elevation highway to see my family. The main difference is it was bright sunnny weather with cool temperatures and still, I was passed constantly by people(many of them Boomers!) in SUVs and pickup trucks. And not only was I passed, I was often passed by vehicles going 20-30 km over the speed limit! But the road was probably dry many would say. No, it was covered with multiple, slick shady patches. And with the temperature below freezing, those spots can be very dangerous. As a result, I witnessed two vehicles in the ditch and on another section of the highway, someone died in a high-speed accident. Boomers, these mountain roads are totally unpredictable.....the signs on the side of the highway state this warning numerous times, but many people don't listen. My family was involved in a terrible accident a few years ago when our SUV hit 300 feet of unexpected black ice in a shady spot; we were travelling on a mixed sun/cloud day with the temperature hovering around -1 Celcius. Our vehicle flipped 1 and 1/2 times and we were only driving at 70km per hour! Please slow down. Follow the police advice, who obviously want our attention, and be road smart! You have a long, happy retirement ahead of you. Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog