Today is your day Boomer! After watching the second part of The Beatles' documentary "Get Back", I began to wonder about the prevalance of smoking in Canada. John, Paul, George, and Ringo were all chainsmokers back in 1969 when their album was being produced....and it sure is pretty disgusting to watch! Then I began to think about my two athletic parents who became heavy smokers in the 1960s and then my mother dying of cancer at a young age.....likely related to tobacco. It seemed almost everyone smoked back then, even during tennis matches(check out the picture!) I remember my high school in the 1970s had separate smoking rooms for the tecahers and the students! Thankfully today, society has drastically changed! The latest research shows only about 12% of Canadians smoke, either regularly or on occassion, and that number continues to drop. Seniors, many of whom are Boomers, are at 8% and I don't have any friends who smoke! Now, maybe a doobie once in awhile....but no cigarettes! 48,000 Canadians die each year due to smoking! Boomers, got the message?! Cheers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog