Today is your day Boomer! Get rid of the Queen? You've got to be kidding! The call came again this week after Barbados separated itself from the British crown after 400 years of rule. Canada has talked about the same thing numerous times over the past 20 years, but I hear it would be a difficult constitutional process. You would need unanimous approval from the House of Commons, the Senate, and all 10 provincial legislatures, plus First Nations consultation. Some provinces, like Newfoundland, are very loyal to the Crown and would likely say no. But how about Boomers? Cross-country surveys now indicate only about 1/4 of Canadians want to keep the Queen....but I bet alot of those are Boomers! Am I wrong or are we rather traditional and old fashioned? Many of us like the "good ol' days" and are resistant to change. I don't know, I kind of like the pomp and circumstance of royalty, plus they have no real power in Canada, and I like to follow all the family squabbles in the news headlines. It is part of who "we" are in this country, part of our culture, heritage, and traditions....and I am reluctant to give up on that. Call me a true Canadian, I guess! How about you? Cheers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog