Today is your day Boomer! No, I am not here to give you any advice on the dreaded "D" word. In fact, I am no expert being happily married for three decades. But.....I can give you some info based on my 25 years as a grade 12 "law" teacher. In Canada, the first Monday of January is called "Divorce Day" as family lawyers get 68% more phone calls from unhappy people than normal. I guess some people begin the new year with a renewed vigour to get away from their spouse; add in the COVID factor and the isolation of couples at home for long periods and, well, I suppose some tired couples just makeup their mind. Also, it is quite easy to get a divorce in Canada these days. We have a system of "no fault" divorce, which means you don't really need a specfic reason to get a divorce....a reason like physical abuse. All you have to do is live apart for at least one year and the ball is rolling. It used to be three years! Also, the divorce rate is about 40% in Canada; alot of people do it, so there is no longer a negative stigma attached to the word. Boomers, I hope you are happily married. Studies show we all live longer and are happier when in a solid relationship. Good luck and cheers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog