Today is your day Boomer! All this negative talk about global warming and climate change is bothersome....I mean, it is happening, but it is all not that bad. Take this winter, for example. In my town of Summerland, BC....we are enduring a full week of sunshine and temperatures hitting about 7 degrees Celcius. A reminder, this is in February when the average temp. is supposed to be minus 2. Yup, when I first moved here thirty years ago, we got three cold spells every winter. Then it dropped to two, and so far this winter, it is only one. And wow, what a time for Boomer winter recreation: skiing, skating, hiking, big-tire mountain biking, snowshoeing, or just simply...walking; this month has it all; see picture! Oh, there are a few downfalls: lack of snow could affect our summer-time water storage, people working indoors get grumpy and take it out on us, and the continuous sun burns our faces. Buy some sunblock Boomers and enjoy....cheers!
Today is your day Boomer! Baby Boomers, another health benefit is back! It is backward walking and the trend-often associated with the 1980s-is making a return as grey-haired wonders, like you and I, look for new-or-newish ideas to help keep us fit! According to cbc.ca, "walking backwards has shown that there's less impact on the joints by using these different muscles — and it can increase flexibility and even help alleviate back pain." One 62-year-old Boomer says "Every time I walk, I just do a little twirl and walk backwards for a bit, and I'll do it just a few times during my walk." It may look a little unusual and may get a few laughs from passersby....by consider the actual benefits. Clinical exercise specialist André Noël Potvin says "When you start to walk backwards, you actually start to rebalance the forces around the ankle, knee, hip and lower back." This really helps Boomers recovering from knee surgery and older Boomers who are havi...
Comments
Post a Comment