Today is your day Boomer! I finally finished my broken rib physiotherapy this week and thought I would give you an update! Yes, remember that I broke three ribs and punctured a lung on the basketball court in early November? Well, I did it.....I am fully recovered now and ready for active life again! Most importantly, I went to physio every week for two months and did all my at-home stretching, weights, and exercises EVERY DAY! Wow....for me and, I think, most people that is quite an accomplishment. So.....to reward myself and to inspire me, about a month ago, I bought a new golf driver and got my old tennis racquet re-strung and handle re-wrapped! YES! I can play sports again this spring and maybe get out skiing and skating in the next few weeks. One thing, however, I noticed at the physio clinic. Most of the patients there were Boomers, including a tennis friend of mine getting his injured shoulder treated. What does that tell you Boomers? Maybe, we need to slow down a bit as we age....and not "overdo" our fitness and sports activities?! Good advice.....cheers!
Today is your day Boomer! Baby Boomers, another health benefit is back! It is backward walking and the trend-often associated with the 1980s-is making a return as grey-haired wonders, like you and I, look for new-or-newish ideas to help keep us fit! According to cbc.ca, "walking backwards has shown that there's less impact on the joints by using these different muscles — and it can increase flexibility and even help alleviate back pain." One 62-year-old Boomer says "Every time I walk, I just do a little twirl and walk backwards for a bit, and I'll do it just a few times during my walk." It may look a little unusual and may get a few laughs from passersby....by consider the actual benefits. Clinical exercise specialist André Noël Potvin says "When you start to walk backwards, you actually start to rebalance the forces around the ankle, knee, hip and lower back." This really helps Boomers recovering from knee surgery and older Boomers who are havi...
Comments
Post a Comment