Today is your day Boomer! I just started my annual tree pruning process in my backyard and as I encounter snowy conditions, I had to remind myself of ladder safety. It was hard to find Canadian stats on this....but I did find American numbers, and they are staggering. Over 300 people die every year in the U.S. after falling off a ladder and the injuries are in the hundreds of thousands! Also, this is mind boggling: a vast majority of the deaths come from falling less than 10 feet. Some common causes of ladder injuries include mounting or dismounting the ladder improperly, losing one's balance, failing to set up the ladder properly, over-reaching while on the ladder,and mis-stepping while climbing or descending. For me, over-reaching and losing balance are big concerns as I prune four cherry trees, one apple, and one pear.....some of them quite high. By the way Boomers, I think we all know that-as we age-our mobility and sense of balance decreases....therefore, ladders are a very big hazard! Be careful, get some youthful help, and "think before you do" Boomers. Be safe and cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog