Today is your day Boomer! Some people ask me why I always talk about retirement in my blog. Well, it is a Baby Boomer blog and I am semi-retired myself....but, I am willing to share good news about employment for Boomers who want to hear. These numbers are specifically for the province of BC, but they could likely apply to other Canadian provinces too. Expect over 1 million new job openings in BC in the next decade and about 63% of those will come from retiring Boomers. Health care, social assistance and education sectors are expected to generate some of the largest employment in services, such as counselling, child protection and community housing. Science and technology jobs will also be in high demand, as will openings in skilled trades ranging from cooks and mechanics to construction workers and hairstylists. Something else to note Boomers-if you are looking to work-is that about 80% of new jobs will require some amount of post secondary education; that is so different from when we grew up in the 1960s and 70s when alot of us became farmers, miners, loggers, and fishermen.....not really needing college or university to get a good job! It means you may have to go back to school. Boomers, good luck and good job hunting. I am heading off to the ski hill today. Cheers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog