Today is your day Boomer! I guess we all learn a big lesson once in awhile. For me, it was a few nights ago on the famed Coquihalla HIghway in BC's interior. Pulling my boat back from our summer cabin resulted in a trailer tire blowout at 100km and a scary experience. My son and I had to change the tire on the side of a very busy highway with semi-trucks thundering past extremely close! It was a "challenge" as my son said, but was not fun. Sure enough my lesson was assuming trailer tires that still looked relatively new after 10 years were actually okay. According to Sport Fishing Magazine, I made a mistake: "treads on tires for boat ­trailers don’t really wear out. More often, the sidewalls deteriorate over time, showing signs of cracking in the rubber exterior. Yet even tires that look OK can fool you. After a few years, the laminates rot from within, and that can lead to blowouts. So you can’t really judge an old trailer tire by its looks. That’s why it is a good idea to replace your trailer tires every five to six years, no matter what they look like. This applies to spare tires as well. Even though they never get used, they still go bad on the inside." There you go Boomers, check those boat and trailer tires regularly, and don't let looks deceive you. By the way, two new tires cost about 450$. Cheers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog