Today is your day Boomer! It is shocking, but very real Boomers....our food banks in Canada are getting used more and more every day! 1.5 million visits last March, the highest ever in Canadian history, and here is why according to a spokesperson: “What we are seeing is the combination of long-term effects to a broken social safety net combined with the effects of inflation and high costs driving more people to use food banks more than ever." What also bothers me is that of the 1/2 million regular users, 1/3 are children....basically on the poverty line. Ahhhh. Boomers, what can we do? Two main things, I think: contribute more food on a regular basis and volunteer to work at your local food bank. I know two of my Boomer friends that volunteer and they also serve on the Food Bank organizing board. There are more than 4700 food banks across our country and they need increased Boomer support. Cheers!
Today is your day Boomer! Baby Boomers, another health benefit is back! It is backward walking and the trend-often associated with the 1980s-is making a return as grey-haired wonders, like you and I, look for new-or-newish ideas to help keep us fit! According to cbc.ca, "walking backwards has shown that there's less impact on the joints by using these different muscles — and it can increase flexibility and even help alleviate back pain." One 62-year-old Boomer says "Every time I walk, I just do a little twirl and walk backwards for a bit, and I'll do it just a few times during my walk." It may look a little unusual and may get a few laughs from passersby....by consider the actual benefits. Clinical exercise specialist André Noël Potvin says "When you start to walk backwards, you actually start to rebalance the forces around the ankle, knee, hip and lower back." This really helps Boomers recovering from knee surgery and older Boomers who are havi...

Comments
Post a Comment