Today is your day Boomer! I read with interest an article from New Zealand today which indicates a new progressive anti-smoking law. It states that young Kiwis born after 2009 will be banned from legally smoking and New Zealand wants to be totally smoke-free by 2025. Wow! How does this compare to Canada? Well, check out the graph and you can see that smoking here has dropped from 25% to 10% in the past two decades.....and certainly, Boomers are a big part of a new focus on having a healthy and fit lifestyle. But...we only have restrictions on youth smoking; for example, store sales to young people have been banned in many provinces. If you want to light-up, generally you can in Canada. And here is the other disturbing fact in both Canada and New Zealand; while smoking is down, vaping is increasing especially in youth ages. I just had heart surgery; all I know is that both are bad for you. Cig for thought, Boomers. Cheers.
Today is your day Boomer! Baby Boomers, another health benefit is back! It is backward walking and the trend-often associated with the 1980s-is making a return as grey-haired wonders, like you and I, look for new-or-newish ideas to help keep us fit! According to cbc.ca, "walking backwards has shown that there's less impact on the joints by using these different muscles — and it can increase flexibility and even help alleviate back pain." One 62-year-old Boomer says "Every time I walk, I just do a little twirl and walk backwards for a bit, and I'll do it just a few times during my walk." It may look a little unusual and may get a few laughs from passersby....by consider the actual benefits. Clinical exercise specialist André Noël Potvin says "When you start to walk backwards, you actually start to rebalance the forces around the ankle, knee, hip and lower back." This really helps Boomers recovering from knee surgery and older Boomers who are havi...

Comments
Post a Comment