Today is your day Boomer! I read a CBC opinion article with interest today as the month of March winds down and we enter Spring. Many people are on Spring Break, many Boomers are returning from numerous months down south and the airline industry is booming. I have friends and family right now on vacation in Cuba, Vietnam, Mexico, and Arizona. The focus of the article was "give up flying, stay put, save the earth!" I had heard about this before, so I wanted some numbers. Here are two big ones: "Air travel is responsible for about two per cent of global CO2 emissions. If aviation were a country, it would be among the top 10 emitters in the world. To make matters worse, aviation emissions are growing fast, with passenger numbers expected to double to 8.2 billion by 2037, according to the International Air Transport Association." Simply put, the airline industry stinks. It is a terrible contributor to global warming at a time when all of us really need to cut back. It will 15 degrees and sunny in my town today; I am golfing and playing tennis. I have a friend up on the hill for sunshine and spring skiing. Do we really need to be in California or Mexico for warmer temperatures and beach time?! Add in, the high cost of flying....the lineups, the delays, the lost baggage, the minimal service....the individual and collective pain of flying is too much! I will stay grounded thank you. How about you Boomers? Cheers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog