Today is your day Boomer! There is something about this new world that I have to emphasize. Climate change means wacky weather, every season, whether we like it or not. So....if you're a Boomer winter enthusiast who loves to ski, snowshoe, and skate, you just have to wait. Winter is coming, but not officially until December 21. I know, I know....you want snow and lots of it! But think back to last fall when we got a huge dump in early November and ski hills were jumping for joy. This year, nothing so far, with warmth and days in the valley bottoms filled with "other" Boomer activities to enjoy like hiking, biking, and tennis. I say the same thing about forest fires in BC's Okanagan and floods in the Lower Mainland....both connected to global warming. They'll happen, but not every year to the same intensity. Let's face it, human exploitation of fossil fuels is screwing up our world; we have to roll with the punches, expect the unexpected when it comes to weather, and continue to encourage our political leaders and industry to gradually switch to alternative energy sources. Such is our new reality Boomers....
Today is your day Boomer! Baby Boomers, another health benefit is back! It is backward walking and the trend-often associated with the 1980s-is making a return as grey-haired wonders, like you and I, look for new-or-newish ideas to help keep us fit! According to cbc.ca, "walking backwards has shown that there's less impact on the joints by using these different muscles — and it can increase flexibility and even help alleviate back pain." One 62-year-old Boomer says "Every time I walk, I just do a little twirl and walk backwards for a bit, and I'll do it just a few times during my walk." It may look a little unusual and may get a few laughs from passersby....by consider the actual benefits. Clinical exercise specialist André Noël Potvin says "When you start to walk backwards, you actually start to rebalance the forces around the ankle, knee, hip and lower back." This really helps Boomers recovering from knee surgery and older Boomers who are havi...

Comments
Post a Comment