Today is your day Boomer! Do me a favour Boomers. Go on YouTube and type in "Smothers Brothers My Old Man song". You will laugh, and laugh some more! Remember that folk-singing comedy duo from the 1960s-70s? Well, one of them passed away yesterday....Tom Smothers, who played the dummy died of cancer at age 86 in California. "I'm just devastated," his brother and the duo's other half, Dick Smothers, told The Associated Press. "Every breath I've taken, my brother's been around." Dick was the straight guy in the comedy act, but both could play guitar and sing, and they played off each other very well. They even had TV shows and got fired for stretching the norm on television: one time "particularly when Smothers joked that Easter 'is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter.' At Christmas, when other hosts were sending best wishes to soldiers fighting overseas, Smothers offered his to draft dodgers who had moved to Canada." The two brothers were very close: "Tommy was the greatest older brother. He took care of me," Dick said. "His maturity was amazing. Sometimes you lose part of your childhood." Farewell Tom...you will live on forever on YouTube and in my ukelele song book. Cheers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog