Today is your day Boomer! Quite often, I play pickleball twice a week in the winter....and the majority of players I see are grey-haired Boomers and/or seniors. But, things are changing! Check out this graph and realize (at least in America) that young people are taking over the sport! The age 25-34 group has taken over p-ball, with seniors now second: "In 2023, every age group recorded year-over-year growth, dispelling the myth that pickleball is primarily a game for older players." And according to thekitchenpickle.com website, the sport is just exploding with new and returning players: "in a new report entitled 2024 State of Pickleball: Participation & Infrastructure Report by SFIA, participation surged by 51.8% between 2022 and 2023 alone, and an incredible 223.5% over the past three years." Again, these are American numbers. But Boomers, I bet the same is true for Canada. It seems to be taking over. By the way, most courts(67%) are outdoor but that is changing as more and more indoor bubbles are popping up to meet the extreme demand. Try it Boomers; it is a great game and is easy to learn. Cheers!
Today is your day Boomer! Baby Boomers, another health benefit is back! It is backward walking and the trend-often associated with the 1980s-is making a return as grey-haired wonders, like you and I, look for new-or-newish ideas to help keep us fit! According to cbc.ca, "walking backwards has shown that there's less impact on the joints by using these different muscles — and it can increase flexibility and even help alleviate back pain." One 62-year-old Boomer says "Every time I walk, I just do a little twirl and walk backwards for a bit, and I'll do it just a few times during my walk." It may look a little unusual and may get a few laughs from passersby....by consider the actual benefits. Clinical exercise specialist André Noël Potvin says "When you start to walk backwards, you actually start to rebalance the forces around the ankle, knee, hip and lower back." This really helps Boomers recovering from knee surgery and older Boomers who are havi...

Comments
Post a Comment